I hope this newsletter finds you well, and refreshed after the Christmas and New Year’s break.
It was such a pleasure to see so many of you in person again at our Awards night in December – it’s been way too long!
My thanks to our incredible committee and talented production team for putting together such an enjoyable night, especially our production managers Damien Calvert, Elly Foster & Karl McNamara.
Congratulations to all of last year’s nominees and recipients – and you can find a full list on our website. We enjoyed an outstanding night’s entertainment with numbers from some of the most amazing junior and open category performers. It’s been a joy to see our theatre community come back to life and live performances over the last year, and I want to say a massive congratulations and thank you to every single one of you for your contribution – whether it be on or off stage, front or back of house.
Our Guild committee has been working especially hard over the last 12 months to continually improve the support that we can give the community, and the way we work. As you know, we recently undertook our first member census, to learn more about the challenges that our member companies are working through, and to get a clearer picture of the contexts they are working in.
There are plenty of insights that we have found during the census process, and we’re looking forward to sharing more of that info with you, as well as using it to better inform how we operate.
We will have at least three opportunities for training new judges throughout the course of this year, so if you’ve ever been interested, and you have some theatre passion and expertise to bring to the table, we would love to hear from you. We regularly put calls out for people to join the judging panels, but we are happy to take EOIs via the website at any time of year – please submit your EOI, or dob in someone that you think would make a great judge, we’d love to talk to them!
As always, please reach out if you have any ideas or feedback, and in the meantime here’s to another fabulous year of theatre!
2022 Bruce Awards
Congratulations to all recipients at our 35th Annual Bruce Awards.
We want to say a BIG thank you to our
2022 Production Team.
We appreciate all of your hard work to make our
Night of Nights extremely special
The Music Theatre Guild of Victoria was so pleased to be able to present a special award for outstanding service to non professional music theatre to Brett Wingfield – a most deserving recipient.
This award has only been presented five other times in the Guild’s history, to Bruce McBrien, Graham Cope, Val Pageam, Beverley Meldrum and Fran Boyd.
\Brett was a member of the Music Theatre Guild of Victoria Inc. committee from 2005 to 2009, followed by Vice President from 2010 to 2021.
Brett was also the recipient of the Edith Harrhy award in 2007 and made a life member of the Guild in 2010. Brett was, single-handedly, the Production Manager/Technical director of our annual night of celebration for 15 years – from 2006 until 2021. Brett’s other passion is PLOS Musical Productions. He has held many positions on committee during this time, including Treasurer and is currently Secretary.
Brett is also well known in the theatre world for his amazing costumes, having received six guild nominations for wardrobe, and has also run the costume store for PLOS. He has stage managed, been production manager many times and is always involved in getting a production onto the stage.
Brett, you are held in the highest regard and we thank you!
Save the Date
36th Annual Bruce Awards
Saturday 9th December 2023
Costa Hall – Deakin University, Geelong
Expression of Interest – Judging Panels
Although the majority of our current Judges
will be carrying through to the 2023 season,
we are opening an expression of interest
for a short time.
If you (or anyone you know) are interested
in becoming a judge, please email
an Expression of Interest and a
copy of your theatrical resume to [email protected]
- Your company/ school must be a member of the Music Theatre Guild of Victoria. An application for membership can be completed here.
- Once your membership form is submitted it will be ratified by the committee of management however your judging application can be, and should be submitted in the meantime. Remember your membership form is not a formal request for judging.
- Judging Application(s) need to be submitted at least four (4) weeks / twenty-eight (28) days prior to the first performance in your shows show season.
- Remember to update your companies contact details to ensure your member company is receiving all the correct correspondence from MTGV. Set a reminder to do this after your AGM or start of every school year.
- Please remember to also submit your judging application forms for your 2023 productions.
- Remind that we have a specific award category for Concert or Revue Performances. So please do not hesitate to submit a judging application for any Concert or Revues your company is producing in 2023.
- Don’t forget to submit your show to the “What’s On” Calendar;
Click here to submit your show now.